Sunday, August 15, 2004

Growing Up

It marvels me these days, the amount of youths trying so very hard to 'grow up', like dressing as though they are thirty or talking to you in this jaded way as if they have gone through all the stages in life when they have not. Or sniffing in clear disapproval when some people are enjoying themselves in ways they deem childish when in fact, their maturity level is still at the age 16 (or less), and they're prolly itching to join in. Joy is really just a simple thing to gain. You don't need PS2 or that fast sports car. (Not saying that material things can't buy happiness, just not all the time =) )

One time I caught an Oprah episode where this girl, a mere 15 year old, having sex just to show she's 'grown up'. That's not the way. I'm not saying that maturity doesn't exist in youths, they do. In fact, there's adults out there who are making wrong and bad decisions/actions all the time, hurting those around them. Like that girl as an example, maturity is when she does not succumb to peer pressure, when she love and respect herself, when she believe in her own values and stick to it. Maturity is when you have the wisdom and not just looking as though you're an adult. Maturity isn't what you have achieved in the material world. I suppose acting that way does make you cool and desirable, but if I were them, I'll be suffering in silence.

The worse thing that could happen to anyone is being jaded, or world-weary as we would say. Why the sullenness just because you want to be someone who is against the world? The only thing you'll be against is yourself. Yes, you might have gone through all the hard knocks in life, in fact, we all have. The only difference is how you cope with it. I've known friends who rage just because they don't get that very expensive item that their parents refuse to get them and friends who plough on, smiling despite having a far-from-perfect life. In my humble opinion, those who lost their enthusiasm, misses out on life; dead. They're rigid and have no spontaniety.

I don't get this race. Why the rush? You will have your whole life to grow up. Don't run so fast, stop and smell the roses, stop and enjoy the moment because when you're so far away, it's harder to step back than to go on forward.

1 comment:

gianne said...

from blog-city:

1. Silhouette left...
Sunday, 15 August 2004 1:26 am
Smell the roses and feel the thorns, my sentiments exactly!



2. a reader left...
Sunday, 15 August 2004 2:12 am
Well...ever since I was young, there is one thing I know about being mature.

Maturity is about being responsible for not just your own actions...but for the actions of those around you.

So yeah...we can be cynical...even jaded, but it isn't the hallmark of being mature. Sometimes the most mature of us can look back at whatever hell they have been through and smile.

So yeah...some of us may not have had much of a childhood...but we won't scream we're old either. I guess the best way is to see it in our acions.

Edrei



3. a reader left...
Tuesday, 17 August 2004 3:06 am
When I was younger, I always wanted to be a grown-up. It seemed to me grown-ups had more freedom; nobody would try to boss them around or make decisions for them without consulting them; others would pay attention them and to their opinions, and treat them as real people. I used to try to dress like a grown-up. Now I'm a grown-up, and while it's not the bed of roses I naively thought it would be, I still enjoy it very much.

ireneQ



4. Pui Yee left...
Wednesday, 8 September 2004 2:05 am
mature, huh? with maturity comes wisdom, something i daren't say i have, not just yet...but maturity is about knowing how to think and act on those thoughts. despite u-kn0w-what that goes on with my life, i'm not jaded or anything about love life, or guys or anything, as some people would think. u know me. i may cry at night but when the day is here i still go out and embrace life. that's the maturity i have learnt in the process of life. and i must say i really truly appreciate your support, too. and i'm here for u as well, that goes on without saying, gianne.