Thursday, December 16, 2004

MotoPotO?

Two days hath passed since the premiere of 'The Phantom of the Opera' of which, tickets courtesy of Charlene {By the way, she now has her own blog... visit it, she's a magic carpet weaver of words}, allowed me to see a movie before it's official release to the insignificant common public (JUST KIDDING!!! heh.) and as usual, being a procrastinator...

Now.

Someone please knock my head with a blunt object, with the words "Hello, where are you been???" carved upon blunt object because my initial impression of PotO is some old fodgy mystery movie. How wrong I was. Not that I've even laid my hands on the literature, just my own brain creating a certain image at the mention of opera. Yes, Pavarotti with his Nicoletta (or smthg) mooching in the sun. Hey, my ma used to get Woman's Day, gossip central, something I vowed never to read because they are somehow related to P. Di's death. Anyway, veering off topic as usual, PotO is a must-see. I know there are some people who balk at musicals, but if you like excellent singing and kinda-tragic love story, what the hell are you waiting for? Git yer shoes and park that butt of yers in front of the ticket's line!

The initial introduction to the past is simply superb. So rich and magnificent you'd be awed... Truly beautiful.

And of course this is a musical, there's going to be a lot of singing. It's even better than 'FAME'. There's something about their voice, or perhaps the words, everytime they sing, a trickle of tiny feathers swam through my spine, then the endless branches of veins. The best actor here is the Phantom himself. The leading lady, not really an actress this one, not saying she was awful, only that it's limited. But when she sings, you can FEEL those emotions. Her expression is very good as well. And Minnie Driver is bloody EXCELLENT in this movie. What was her character? For me to know and for you to find out. =P I wish I could hurl myself into the movie and live it. On a second thought, even if that's possible, I think I'll pass, since I'm a closet William Hung.

PotO should had been given more publicity. But then again, it's good that they spend their budget on producing an excellent movie, rather than spending it on advertising and end up with a lousy movie that has everyone dazed that they actually spent their hard-earned RM10 for such crap.

No comments: