Friday, August 12, 2005

Smoky air, slothness and stupidity

If you were to flutter from one malaysian blog to next, you'd just puke to see another mention of 'HAZE'. The white smoke that descended over many cities, like a blanket of the Heaven's (only it feel like Hell's). I just realised that I haven't seen the blue skies in days, but that's my fault because I kept looking down. This morning I woke up to a burning smell, as if a section of my house it's on fire, but once my brain jumped to alert, it was just the haze seeping through my window, permeating through the entire house.

If it weren't for its damaging properties, an optimistic one would sniff and say, "Ah! The smell of a foreign land!" Which is Indonesia and if anyone actually does that, an ambulance will promptly Whoo-Wheee-Whooo next to the speaker, toss him upside down into the back and drive immediately to Tanjung Rambutan where he'd be given a 'sexy' bare backed uniform and an electric shock.

But the haze did something good afterall. It gave us a nice little holiday. Although we can't go anywhere without coughing, or choking a little. But then again, I haven't done my homework, feeling very much like the Queen of Sloth lately. Usually my little ritual before a new semester starts is to clean out my room. okay, okay, it's big ritual la, considering the Amazon-jungle room state. Papers scattered all voer the floor, books stacked up in a few corners, unmade bed and an atrociously messy table which I have difficulty to find a place to put my cup. I applaud the bravery of the haze to come into my room. Somehow this time around, I just look at them, with no heart to do so. The point? The logical reason is there, but a certain spirit is missing. It's going to be messy again anyway. And I can imagine me mam, standing at the doorway with hands on hips, going, "Ooooh, like that la! Then I don't need to feed you. You're going to get all hungry again right?" But that's different, ma. Without that I die. It isn't the same. Neatness is something we humans thought up, or had in our instincts. I'm not saying it's bad. It's just something I have to put an effort in. While I clean up little by little, my dogs can resume exploring my room, as if they are on some bloody adventure, lol.

Yesterday I dropped by Ampang Point to grab some brochures / leaflets for my Graphic Design Class, which was supposed to be today but it's holiday. There was a lot at the information counter, so I headed there. The lady at the counter looked at me rather weirdly because I took quite some time picking them. I chucked them in my bag and went to Pay-Less-Books just to salivate over some book I found few days back. They had some really good books, like The God of Small Things, by an Indian author if I'm not mistaken. But when I went back it's gone. Boohoo. Initally I thought the books in this bin were rm12 each. The sign said '5-rm12' but I couldnt find any books under rm10. So I went to another section and read a very funny book (the series by louise rennison, the confessions of georgia nicholson). After that, I went back and suddenly it hit me that the sign meant rm12 for FIVE books.

If I knew how to somersault, I'd do it right then.

The Samurai Garden - Gail Tsukiyama
Girl With A Pearl Earring - Tracy Chevalier
Kitchen - Banana Yoshimoto
Blue Angel - Francine Prose
The Girls' Guide To Hunting And Fishing - Melissa Banks

On another matter, I got a phonecall from a friend of mine, whose sister wanted my opinion on the Najib's proposal on making the length of degree programs compulsory for four years, in private colleges/unis. My first answer was, stupidly, "Oh, got meh?". I wasn't aware of it really. Even though I read newspapers. Two actually. The questions were what did I think of it, do I agree with it? And second, does it affect me? (No.) After I put the phone down and really thought about it, I felt rather stupid. Because I had said four years is just a short time as we're going to be in the industry for the rest of our lives, so basically agreed. Besides, in my field of studies, it's three years for diploma and 4 for a degree. After thinking, it really depends on what course it is, some don't need THAT long. And I also missed out on the word 'PRIVATE'. It means it costs a lot. Money drainage on parents. GAH. What have I done? She's working for the StarEd. All I can hope for is that she doesn't pick my comment. I could had called her back and change it, but I didn't. It's no biggie.

It's always like that. Like presentation, after you've done your bit, you'd sit back down and despair over, shit, now why haven't I thought about that?

I should had given a fake name, sigh. But then she knows me anyway, so it wouldn't work. Am such a buffoon.

1 comment:

gianne said...

from blog-city:

1. Emily left...
Sunday, 14 August 2005 2:49 am

Oi woman I got the god of small things. Don't like it and its sitting on my shelf. Give it to you la!