Friday, February 03, 2006

Skating on thick ice?

I'm having a good download week... Seeders, I love jooOOooOoOo!!! YESH! Oh yes, my darling pc, you good too hehehe



Oh oh, went to Sunway Pyramid with me cousin, Karene for ice skating because we were bloody bored; me rotting at home and she, boiling in cyberjaya. There's only that many of anime and series-watching on pc that we can take before going cuckoo. Or at least sometimes being stuck at one place makes me feel like hurling.

Hurl contents will be beef or lamb chop. Because me ma had this meat-carnivore spree and bought loads of beef, lamb chops and foot long sausages. Beef fat is yummy. Gianne fat is horrible. Bleaurgh. I'm starting to get sick of it really, but recently we had to toss a lot of frozen food out as it's giving off funny smells. So yea.... don't waste right? I'll starve in the future, so I better repent.

Hmmm, I'm trying to remember which sadistic person who told me when I was a wee kid to finish all your food... think of all the starving children in Africa! If I don't finish every single damn rice, I've somehow sinned to these poor children? I mean, come on, why think of starving children? Here I am stuffing myself silly till my plate is sparkling clean while they're suffering from malnutrition and what-not. Am I supposed to feel superior? Wouldn't it be more appropriate to give me smaller portions and encourage me to help these children in the future?

They never did.

Right. The ice skating thing. That night I didn't sleep at all... Tossed and turned for a few hours, and frankly I don't see the point So, might as well get up, go dilly dally and fry myself a couple of eggs for breakfast.

I was too early to meet me cuzzie at Plaza Rakyat, so I stopped at an interchange station and went the other way to waste time XD. Felt dizzy and sleepy at some point, but I amused myself by watching other passengers (if you're one of them, I'm that girl who keep stealing glances at you, then promptly looking away, forming really stupid stories in her head, and your co-stars are the others in the same tram.)

So anyway, me and Kilik (yes, I call her Kilik because... Kilik has a nice sound to it =D. Besides, it irritates the hell out of her XD) finally met up at Plaza Rakyat and onto the bus.

I'm trying to figure out why 3/4 times that I took a bus to Sunway the bus is SLOW. You could see all the packciks and makciks and grandmas and grandpas, and even a beaten up Toyoto Corolla, passing the bus leisurely. Slow and steady, yes I know, but I kinda miss the hell drivers of Metrobus... although I do recall in secondary that this driver took a REAL sharp turn (practically 90 degrees! And it's only the first of the many future turns TT.TT), and I'm one of the standing sardines (barely grasping the high bar's rubber-handles) and we'd get hurled towards random stinking armpits (which by the force of my school shoes I manage to avoid touching; thank you BATA!!!)

Again, I swerved my brain cells to a stop in one of the many rooms of mah thinking noodles. So we arrived at Sunway and we stood upstairs watching the pro skaters twirling like tops in the center of the ring and ... only ONE amateur there. No prize for guessing who ain't in the ice-skating class, they are the ones clinging to the side as if their lives depend on it. Now, I've graduated from that, and I can skate quite fast (98% without falling) but have yet to learn to brake without suffering from the law of physics (inersia) and fly-land on my face.

Falling on ice really hurts, and I was watching the wannabe-pro skaters in their nice skimpy outfit, and I winced at the thought of them falling and scrapping their bare legs and arms. OUCH. Oh oh, there was this really cute guy at the ring, one of the good skaters. Kilik dragged me off before I start drooling salive onto the rink (rink-cleaning wasn't until an hour later), and so we started skating.

As usual, the rented skates felt ill-fitted, but I got used to it without spraining my ankle.

Towards lunchtime, more people came in, but it's not that many... Weekday la!

Cute guy helped this huge Arab-looking fella, first timer, by holding his arm and guided him. Around the rink. At least 3 times!!! Kilik said Damn, you should had faked it from the beginning. Why don't you start now? Dotdotdotdotdot.... that's like 2 hours of racing with her, and then suddenly I don't know how to skate??? And I go Siau ah?? That's what he's gonna think of me, I have my dignity you know *huff huff puff* and promptly almost fell over a nick in the ice. ALMOST!

Things like these always happen to me. I must have been bad in my past life, and receiving the spankings now =/.

There was this Japanese family who came in, although only the father and son skated. There's another little boy as well, who stayed outside with his mom, snapping pictures of his bro. It's frigging adorable. I mean, the kid is only like 2 years old and he's clutching a camera, following his dad and bro's progress, snapping away happily!

Later, another family came in, consists of parents and son (around 5-ish years old?). At first step into the rink, the kid fell.

Since she was nearby, Karene hoisted him up, as his mom was looking rather wobbly as well (though visibly less wobbly than her offspring). Within 5 seconds,
*KE-DE-BAP!*!! Stars and dizzy birds circling his head! (<< imagined) He got up again. And again and again and again. The poor kid was helping fellow skaters, as in he dried the skating rink with his clothes, and if that's not clear enough, it means he's drenched.

Lucky it's pretty empty that day, or else he'd be a hockey puck.

We'd help him up if we happen to pass by when he falls, but he's pretty much learning to stand up on his own. He's adamant to learn to skate. Give take two hours later, he's skating normally. I mean, he just started falling lesser as time passed, like from 15fpm to 2fpm (fall per minute).

Now here's a different story: After the boy, we encountered two girls at the entrance of the rink... with their laces loose. I mean, it's meant to be tight la, which we pointed out to them.

Girl 1 : Er... Can help us tie our laces ah?
Me & Kilik: No prob!

XD.

It's pretty hard to squat down with my skates one though, but I managed. They needed help to skate too, so we did. Kilik's better at this though, for her years in volleyball training (proper coach!) and training up the juniors.

Girl 1, Kilik's 'student', in the end she managed to walk in them skates. Girl 2 which I helped basically went out five meters from the entrance, a large number of minutes where she was stagnant, and then return back out. She only NEARLY fell in the beginning, which it's pretty normal, but after that she got absolutely terrified of falling. I felt kinda bad because I thought my help her made it worse, so I told her (who was clutching the rink-sides) that try to balance on her feet first, and she told me to go on first while she try. When I got back she barely moved and on forth, refused help, from me or my cousin, even though she wanted to get the hell out of the rink. So Kilik and me went on normally, and stopping once in a while to ask if she's alright.

As for helping, I'm a bit of a split. Is a helping hand needed? Some people would feel bad if you're helping them... or do they even WANT you to help them? Or if you keep helping a person everytime they fall, wouldn't it hinder their progress? I'm not only talking in ice skating context, but in life as well. And of course, this post is as long as it is, so that's another blog entry =).

Like in the case of the little boy, when he falls, I hang around a bit. If he can't get up, I'll help. But if he gets up on his own, off skating I go. Like in the case of the 'stranded' girl, after two declines from her, I didn't offer any help but instead just drop by just to chit chat with her (of all the things, I forgot the name part) and off I go again. If I keep offering help and she keep refusing, it'll get uncomfortable for both of us, won't it? And I'm not exactly the smoothest talker around, and uncomfortable situations in my hand ends quite disastrously. =(

Reminds me of kind aunties who used to offer me biscuits and snacks when visiting them, and I used to always decline politely... but as years passed, I realised that it's politer to accept what they offer. Truth be told, many things that normal people know, I do not.

I'm a slow learner, cannot ah? It's not as though I like having that trait, it's just harder to fix than physical features where there's plastic surgery and what not.

And another thing to think about... Pride. Yes, one of the seven deadly sins. Take a look at the little boy and the girl in her late teens. The kid didn't give a flying poo of the people watching, and wasn't allergic to embarassing himself. The payoff? Something new that he could do. Another check on your life's resume! Of course, fearlessness has something to do with it too. I often connect Pride to Fear though. That's what it leads to, doesn't it? In the past few years, I've taken some steps out of my comfort zone, and past the initial awkwardness, I'm so friggin' glad I did. I'm not truthful if I were to claim I don't have pride. In fact, I missed out on many chocolates of life just because I was afraid of what people would think of me if I were to do this or that. Afraid to embarass myself.(<< although I do this often without realising it... embarassing myself that is XD). Now, approaching twenty, this knowledge hits me like a swinging boulder. Because of pride, I was afraid to fail, forever circling a limited radius. And looking up to find vultures waiting for me to die so they could pick me right down to my boring bones.

Hey kid, you enlightened me, you know that? Despite being soaked to the bone. And really short XD

No comments: