Thursday, March 08, 2007

.... CNY Rou-, I mean, Day 2 *ting ting ting*!!!

When there's a mountain of pineapple tarts, ga koo, roasted meat, fried seaweed, cookies and tidbits in front of you, one can't help but to reach out to one of them containers, unscrew it, and spend the next 2 weeks of CNY munching happily.Which could only mean one thing.

Fats on return journey singing, "Heigh-ho, Heigh-ho!"

You know, an annual thing.

Okay, I lie, pants on fire... I lied. My fats go "Heigh-ho, Heigh-ho" everytime I open the fridge for chocolates or the cupboard to cook instant noodles at 3am in the morning. But still, extra fat during CNY due to big dinners, foods eaten at pai-nins and so on. Plus someone with a big kind heart gave my family a box of Ferrero Rocher~ must write a love you long long time note to this person XDXD.

On the second day of CNY, it's off to my uncle's house, on my mom's side. Loads of people there, which is good, because I get more magical red packets =DDDD.


My grandma, or as I call her, PoPo


Dong Dong Chang!!!

Oh oh!!! Gotta introduce my daughter to you:


My 'daughter' is on the right =O

Fine fine, she's my niece (so I'm a liar). Apparently my niece looks a hell lot like me when I was younger. At least that's what the 'older generation' were gushing about. Man, I gotta dig out my baby pictures... And it doesn't stop at looks, because her attitude is similar to mine as well. Did I mention her brother? He is 3 years older than her, and looks and acts like MY brother (who is 3 years older than me) when he was younger. A sort of amazing coincidence...?


Cho kawaii deshou?


I love standing next to the instruments. Love to feel the drums messing up my heartbeats.


My brother's mini doppelganger XD


My nephew took this!! He used to fall frequently as a kid, which earned him a lot of 'bungalows ' on his forehead XD



OI MUSIC TOO LOUD!! ME APPALLED!!! (with her grandpappy, or my uncle)



My niece looks so sweet in this dress!!

Of course, what's a family gathering without the usual questions?

Got bombarded with "Got boyfriend already? Why not?" or if they'd like to be more -hint hint- discreet, they will go, "So, what's your boyfriend's name?" Yea, which one, Monday to Friday, everyday got new one *gets shot*. Seriously though, what's up with these very expected questions? Am I worth less if I'm single? ; ___ ; I never thought my day would come for those questions D=... Frankly, singledom is fun and I'm not saying that in a bitter singleton way....

The hilarious part in my case was my uncle saying he could match me up with some decent boys, then doing a verbal matchmaker proposal number (my brain conjures up a bow, arrows and diaper; oh cupid, how different you look!). After a while of this, I'm like, oi, why find for me, find for your daughter la (who I'm very close to and I'm only three days older). And he replied something on the line of wanting his daughter to remain his little girl for a bit longer.

ME : .... then other people's daughter....
HIM: Hahahahhahahahahah

I'm seriously more comfortable with the relentless advice just a few short years ago, how I shouldn't get a boy, concentrate on studies etc etc (perfected the art of nodding my head). Because if don't have, great; if have, whatever, I can keep it a secret. But now it's a totally different ballgame where if you were to lie that you DO have a boy, you gotta have evidence.

So that day on the train with LC, we were joking about hiring a 'stand-in' partner for CNY. You know how some people would hire someone to be their 'girlfriend/boyfriend' for family gathering purposes? Yea, that one. The train ride is slightly dreary and we cooked up a situation where everyone is at the dinner table and then the said 'stand-in' partner would go, "Susan, pass me the steamed chicken."

My name is not Susan.

Then everyone at the table will be oh-so-silent, all frozen with their chopsticks in midair and the aunties will perk up their five senses for potential gossip. So what would you do in this situation? Sit quietly, in a sad way, and everyone fumbles for a change in topic thinking that this relationship will be in deep shit later, while my thoughts will go something like this, "You bastardddddddd, cut your pay 50%.....".

Or better yet... fan toi. Or in English, flip the table over.

When that happens, the rest of the people there will snap out of it and be like, "Ahhh...! The food...." and they would turn their head sharply towards the only person holding the last prawn fritters in his chopsticks, eyeing it with very hungry eyes and clicking their chopsticks, and the said person would quickly spit on the prawn, like how a dog would piss on his property. That would be fun.

Then the whole "HOW DARE YOU CHEAT ON ME I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS YOU *BLEEEEEEEEEPPP*!!!" and "What? No no, Susan was nothing compared to you, my darling honeyplum!" and drama drama banana, tears, tantrums and children having their ears shielded from an argument that could put drunken sailors to shame (Oh, pass us an Oscar, will you... ) and then declare that you'll go home while relatives shoot imaginery daggers to fake partner who trails after me, and once in a safe distance from the place, I'll shake that fella's hand vigorously for a job well done.

And you know what, after that, I doubt they will dare to ask you if you have a new boyfriend for at least 3 years. I'm sure they wouldn't want to sacrifice any more prawn fritters.

No comments: