Thursday, April 05, 2007

How will this tree reach greater heights?

Eh?

Bloggers may have to register.

Habisla the local servers, no one will layan them anymore.

You know, I rarely write about political shit. Unless there is supply.

Although I didn't write about this gem over here: We're all liars. As well as jobless. Especially women.

But only because I was overdosed by the sight of severe stupidity upon laying eyes on the comment.

It pains me when people who has so much power in their hands, lack just that in the brain department. Where's the foresight? Where's being real? 

Let's be fair. Not all who wields power makes Malaysians bury their face in their hands, cringing. Not all makes us lament or break out in indignation.

     A few months back, during the whole khalwat raid uproar, this Perlis Mufti, Dr. Asri if I recall right, spoke up on the hullabaloo. I don't know why I'm bringing this up now but anyway, what struck me most was his calmness and rationality. Especially in Malaysia, where things like these could get sensitive, he handled it well. His words were not driven solely by emotion, and it made things better. 

     I always think that when you're in front of the media and your choices and words will affect people, I feel it's best to be more rational than emotional. Take a step back, consider the whole and then open your mouth. You know how people are like when they are surfing high on personal feelings, or simply, emotions, they start saying things that they don't mean, or they put the words in a wrong way or they jump to silly assumptions that make them feel ever-so-smart for say, 10 minutes. Or worse, expose to the public their silly prejudice that is better off kept hidden in a hole, with a big boulder over it and then covered in cement. 

Oh shit, how did I end up talking abt old news instead?

     Anyway, the idea is silly; there's so many loopholes in it. Malicious contents? How would they judge what is malicious, and what is not? What if someone posts up something exposes something that the Gov rather keep under the carpet? How far will registering help? Did it help the girl who got harrassed by smses and received that dead foetus? They can't even track the sender because the prepaid number belongs to her apparently. First things first, can they handle it? 

     Maybe I'm overreacting. After all, these are my words and I ought to stand by it. And I will, of course. But to agree to this , I could already feel a trickle, an onset of a possible oppression. People aren't stupid, like duh, they could avoid hosting their blogs locally. The government will not be able to control what they say then. If so, what next? Ban and block every foreign blogging site?

     If you keep striking at the branches, the tree will still grow because the roots are still there. You could cover it, and lock it up. The cover will become strained and tight, and branches will seep through small openings. The tree will do anything to feel the sunlight. To breathe.

Malaysia is like that. We are growing, especially intellectually, but there's some really diligent branch-cutters out there.  

 If they start monitoring and censoring the internets, aka the people's voice, I'll lose hope in this country. For real.

Somehow it reminds me of a story I once read:

====== 

There's this bunch of people living in a dark cave, facing one side of the wall only. They lived like that for centuries, until one day one of them got curious and decides to turn around and have a peek. What he saw amazed him beyond words; the sun, the grass, the rivers, the trees etc. He rushes back to tell the others.

Instead of sharing his delight, they began to fear and mistrust him and finally bludgeoned him to death. They returned to face the wall.

========

Very tiny relevance, but it's that sort of fear they have, you know? Only they can't go around swinging clubs to murder bloggers. 

 I used to snicker at countries who has to go through internet censorship, like China and Iran, and suddenly I realised we could possibly be on the receiving end of it.

1 comment:

gianne said...

1. Seiji left...
Friday, 6 April 2007 2:30 am

Yea. I was dumbfounded when I read the news today.. but I thought it was only necessary for blogs that are utilizing the .my domain? Not sure about that but internet censorship is surely the worst thing we can get. Remember how peaceful it was last time when blogs weren't that popular yet? After the blogging scene stated mushrooming in Malaysia, media coverage started to roll in on those allegedly controversial blogs and the government started making noises about it. Before that, I've always hoped that blogging would become a popular activity among Malaysians without thinking that it'd be a double-edged sword.

Anyway, register as a voter today and vote to DAP. Leave UMNO and PAS out in the cold. (p.s: let's hope that you won't be sued over my comment on your blog =P )

2. GenieOnTheLoose left...
Friday, 6 April 2007 2:51 am :: http://willowhippo.blog-city.com/

Yea, the .my only... which in turn, may affect the local web business. Actually I don't see many bloggers using .my anyway, but if the gov become absolutely intent on wiping out any 'malicious' content, they might end up practicing internet censorship, which, will really suck big time.

Most bloggers don't write 'malicious' contents, and we're pretty scattered. But when something like this happens, we tend to unite =DDD Plan backfire?

I'm gonna register this year, wahahahah. i hope i don't get sued over this entry XDXD Detect any maliciousness anot?

3. Silhouette left...
Friday, 6 April 2007 3:58 am

I love how the country approaches the 21st century. Idiots. Bloody sexist good for nothing useless piece of crap the person who said bloggers are jobless women. Thank god for the Uk. Eh my boss interested in website designing. Want the job?

4. GenieOnTheLoose left...
Saturday, 7 April 2007 12:47 am

ML: Yea I know... weird isn't it? And the whole bloggers are liars thing was said by tourism minister, not to mention, during VMY.Smack head hard can?

I'm interested, but it's totally impossible for me to take on any freelance at the moment, sigh.